Monday, August 3, 2009

Sak Narwal: a Fisherman with a Conscience

I came across Sak Narwal when doing research online about various people who are pressing for greater use of green technology in the US economy. Apparently, his thinking about the green economy is similar to my own. I noted in one of my blog posts, titled The Way Forward, for The Creating Wealth Blog that when Barack Obama became president we were going to see increasing investment in green technology. I found that Narwal supports recycling efforts, reduction of toxic emissions, fuel cell technology, and other development of clean technologies.

Yet that is not all I learned about Sak Narwal. Apparently, he is also quite the fisherman. Now, having done a bit of research on overfishing and how it is negatively affecting fish stocks around the world, this may have dampened my positive feelings towards the man. Needless to say, it did not.

While I support subsistence fishing as a means for survival and understand the importance of seafood as a primary source of protein for a large proportion of the world's population, I generally do not approve of hunting for sport, which would include fishing. Perhaps it is because of the horror stories I hear about canned hunting of wild game in Africa. Though Sak Narwal is a sports fisherman, he is also a "catch and release" fisherman, meaning that the fish he catches will survive to spawn another day. That said, Mr. Narwal is genuinely both a green businessman and a green fisherman.

No comments:

Post a Comment